Indian Patent Office (IPO) has now started granting patents under expedited examination system (Rule 24C of the Patent Amendments Rule 2016) within 9 to 12 months.
One such patent granted is IN2885091 for “A PROCESS FOR THE PREPARATION OF APIXABAN“. A request for expedited examination was filed on 24th October 2016 and the same was converted into an expedited request on 21st March 2017. A patent has been granted to Optimus Drugs Private Limited within 9 months of filing of request for examination and 4 months of converting it into an expedited request, on 12th July 2017. The other factual details are as follows:-
- Request for examination: 24th October 2016
- Request for expedited examination: 21st March 2017
- First Examination report issued on: 31st March 2017
- Response to examination report filed on: 4th May 2017
- Hearing attended: 23rd June 2017
- Written submissions filed: 3rd July 2017
As published on Patents Rewind.
Read more about how a decision in the Nitto Denko matter has led to an expedited patent prosecution process. And how such briskness reflected in the protection of other forms of IP as well.